Hellenic National Academic Recognition and Information Center and other provisions
THE PRESIDENT OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC
We publish the following law voted by the Parliament:
Founding - Legal Form - Seat
A legal person governed by public law is founded under the name "HELLENIC NATIONAL ACADEMIC RECOGNITION AND INFORMATION CENTER" (NARIC), seated in Athens and supervised by the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs. The Center uses the following name in its international relations: "Hellenic National Academic Recognition and Information Center (Hellenic NARIC)".
1. The Center''s purpose is:
a) The recognition of qualifications awarded by equal higher education institutes, universities as well as technological educational institutes, abroad and
b) the provision of information concerning higher education studies domestically and abroad.
2. The Center, in order to achieve its purpose:
a) Collects and processes the information and data concerning the Greek educational system, mostly regarding Greek higher education in the university and technological sector, and operates as an information Center on issues of university and higher technological education.
b) Collects and processes the information and data concerning higher education on an international and european level, monitors international developments in this field, informs the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, as well as the universities and technological educational institutes (TEI) on issues of foreign higher education and provides information to higher education institutes or competent Centers and similar organizations abroad, on the organization and operation of Greek universities and technological institutes in higher education. It also advises the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs on the need to domestically create new departments, already operating abroad.
c) Participates in meetings and other events organized by international organizations and especially by the european network of respective national academic recognition and information centers (NARIC), of which it is a member.
d) Cooperates with bodies that aim in evaluating the quality of higher education concerning issues of common interest.
In the sense of the present law:
a) "Higher education of university and technological course" is the education provided by universities and technological educational institutes operating in Greece or abroad as higher education institutions.
b) "Qualification" is a degree or diploma which certifies that its holder has successfully completed a higher education studies programme.
c) "Degree" is the qualification by a recognized university or technological institution of higher education, provided after a successful completion of an undergraduate studies programme.
d) "Postgraduate Diploma" is the qualification provided to holders of a degree after the successful completion of the postgraduate studies programme of recognized educational institutions.
e) "PhD Diploma" is the qualification provided by recognized educational institutes to holders of a degree, after the successful completion of an original scientific dissertation.
f) "Recognition of qualification" is the Center''s certification and verification of "equivalence" or "equivalence and correspondence" of the qualification. The recognition concerns degrees, postgraduate diplomas and phd diplomas.
g) "Recognized educational institute" is the university and technological institute of higher education that has been deemed as equivalent by the Center''s competent bodies.
h) Equivalent is considered to be the higher education educational institute of university and technological course abroad, recognized by its country''s competent bodies, provided that the following conditions apply:
aa) Teachi ng and examination include the necessary courses for the respective science.
bb) The higher institution issues degrees, postgraduate diplomas and phd diplomas as qualifications. Exceptionally, higher technological educational institutes that issue only degrees as qualifications, are also considered to be equivalent.
cc) The largest part of the teaching personnel of the undergraduate as well as the postgraduate department holds a phd diploma.
dd) When the qualifications provided lead to professional rights, these rights are recognized in the country where the higher educational institute operates.
ee) The duration of studies is of at least three years for the undergraduate and of one year for the postgraduate programme, and the students have completed the level of secondary education.
Conditions for the recognition of qualifications
The qualifications from foreign recognized educational institutes are recognized by the Centrer as "equivalent" or as "equivalent and corresponding".
1. The "equivalence" is recognized under the condition that:
a) The duration of studies, the teaching and learning process and the terms of evaluation, advancement and graduation of students fulfill the requirements of universities and technological institutes of higher education in our country. Exempted from the condition of the teaching and learning process are institutions characterized as "open university", "distance learning" and "external degrees", provided that these specific institutions have a special studies programme to this end, that the whole process for the provision of such a programme is exclusively executed by the institute granting the qualification and not by another in any manner collaborating institute, and that the evaluation, advancement and graduation of students is executed through transparent and legitimate procedures, similar to those of other studies programmes that require attendance.
b) The whole s tudies programme has been attended in equal educational institutes and that at least 1/2 of the programme has been attended in the institute granting the qualification. The only exception to the said minimum percentage of studies can be inter-university programmes for the cooperation of recognized educational institutes. The duration of the studies is calculated in academic years, semesters or credits, or a combination of those.
2. Especially for the recognition of qualifications from abroad, acquired after a three-year period of studying, when the respective programmes domestically provide for four or five-year periods of studies, "equialence" or "equivalence and correspondence" of the degree is recognized only if the holder of the degree also holds a postgraduate diploma. In this case there is no "equivalence" recognized for the postgraduate diploma. The acquisition of a postgraduate qualification is not deemed necessary in the case of equivalence with a degree from a technological educational institute. In special cases of intensive programmes abroad, of a three-year duration, when the respective university programmes domestically are of a four-year duration, it is possible, by a specially justified decision of the competent Department of the Center''s Board of Directors, to provide "equivalence" or "equivalence and correspondence" for a degree, without simultaneously taking into account a postgraduate diploma. In order to make this decision, they take into account specific qualitative and quantitative criteria, and especially the credits of the studies programme in the foreign institution and any evaluation or certification of the institution by recognized higher education bodies. This decision is published.
3. "Equivalence and correspondence" is recognized if the conditions for the recognition of the qualification''s "equivalence" apply and additionally of the interested aprty has been taught and sucessfully examined in the principal subjects of the equivalent domestic studies programme. Th e Center can demand additional successful examination in a number of subjects in higher education institutions domestically. The additional subjects cannot exceed 6 in number. This number can be increased up to ten, when regarding the recognition of foreign qualifications as equivalent to qualifications acquired domestically after studies of a duration of at least five years. If the difference of the domestic studies programme from the foreign programme is so significant as to not be able to provide "equivalence and correspondence" of the qualification even with the additional examination in six or, accordingly ten subjects, then "equivalence" is recognized if there are the conditions of article 4 par. 1. The additional subjects are defined by the respective Department of the Center''s BoD, following a proposal by the competent Executive Committee.
4. The higher education institutions are under the obligation to accept, within the two following exam periods from the submission to the institution of the releval application by the interested party, candidates referred by the Center for examination in additional subjects in numbers equal to at least 10% of enrolled students in the respective Departments on the current academic year. Any ommission to carry out this obligation constitutes a violation of duty.
5. The Center, in cooperation with universities and technological institutes of higher education, executes special written examinations for the evaluation of the required additional subjects and the examination of the knowledge acquired, when it deems it necessary. The exams may be executed by multiple choice questions and the grading of candidates'' essays may be executed electronically. The subject-matter under examination is defined a priori, is valid for one year, is publicly announced and is of a similar scientific level as the exams organized by the domestic higher education institutions for the acquisition of the respective degree. After the announcement of the results, the candidates exa mined have the right to request that their paper be shown to them by the Center''s competent bodies and its review, if there is an error or omission in the initial grading. More specific issues concerning the manner in which the examinations are executed and the review procedure, are defined by a decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, following a proposal by the Center''s BoD, according to article 15 par. 2. For participation in the examinations, a payment voucher is deposited to the Center.
6. The "equivalence and correspondence" of the qualification for which additional subjects are required, is provided after the submission of evidence that prove a successful examination in the said subjects.
7. The postgraduate and phd qualifications are only recognized as equivalent.
The Center''s bodies are the Board of Directors (BoD) and its Departments, the President, the Vice Presidents, the Executive Committees, the Special Movers, the Academic Consultants and the administrative employees.
Administration bodies - Formation and operation
1. The Center''s administration bodies are the BoD, the President, the two Vice Presidents and the Executive Committees. The BoD is formed by the President and twenty one members, fourteen out of which are active professors or associate professors in Greek universities and seven are professors in Greek T.E.I. The fourteen members of the BoD each come from the following scientific fields: Philosophy or Literature, Pshychology or Theology, Law, Exact Sciences, Economic Sciences or Business Administration, Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering Sciences, New Technologies, Social and Political Sciences, Geotechnical Sciences, Veterinary, Gymnastics, Arts. The remaining seven members are TEI professors and come from the following scientific fields: One member from the Economy Administration field, two from He alth Professions, three from the fields of Engineering Technological Sciences and one member from the fields of Technological Geotechnical Sciences and Foods.
2. The President and the 1st Vice President are professors in Greek universities and the 2nd Vice President is a professor in Greek higher education technological institutes
3. The President and the twenty one members of the BoD, among which the two Vice Presidents as well, are appointed by a decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, published in the Official Government Gazette, along with the substitute BoD members, for a three-year term of office, from the professors and associate professors serving and included in a list drafted by the domestic educational institutes after a show of interest by their members. For the appointment of the President, the prior consenting opinion of the Parliament''s Educational Issues Committee, which is provided according to the relevant provisions of the Parliament''s Regulation. The President, Vice Presidents and members of the BoD can be replaced due to resignation, loss of status under which they have been appointed and for a grave reason related to exercising their duties, especially: when they are absent from three consecutive meeting of the Board and provided that the time lapsed between the first and third meeting is not less than six months, and when they are unable to perform their duties due to obligatory absence abroad for more than two months.
4. The BoD functions in Plenary Session and in two Departments, the 1st Department for university education with fourteen members and the 2nd De[artment of higher technological education, with seven members. The university education Department is formed by the President of the BoD, the 1st Vice President and the BoD members coming from universities. The higher technological education Department is formed by the BoD President, the 2nd Vice President and the members that come from higher education technological institut es. Each Department is convened, following an invitation by the President, at least four times a year, or whenever deemed necessary following an invitation by the competent Vice President, in all other aspects according to the provisions of the Administrative Procedure Code. In the BoD and Department meetings, following an invitation made by the President, can also be present but without the right to vote the special Movers, members of the teaching and scientific personnel or other parties that can provide information related to the topic under discussion.
5. Each Department defines the Executive Committees which are formed by the Department''s President, its Vice President and two members from relevant scientific fields. Each Executive Committee is assigned fields of studies for which it is responsible in terms of examinations and decisions. The Executive Committees are convened following an invitation by the Center''s President.
6. The Plenary Session, the Departments and the Executive Committes, if it is not otherwise provided by the present law, are formed and operate according to the Administrative Procedure Code (L. 2690/1999). The substitute members also legally participate when the regular members go or lose their status as such. In case of equality in votes, the President''s vote prevails.
Duties of BoD Plenary Session and Departments.
1. The BoD''s Plenary Session has the following duties: a) Studies issues of general importance which are referred by its Departments or are of common interest or concern the Center''s general policy and its general promotional image. b) Makes proposals to the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs on the issuance of ministerial decisions according to the stipulated authorizing provisions. c) States opinions to the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs concerning the signing of international or bilateral agreements which include provisions on the rec ognition of qualifications. d) Approves the budget, review and balance sheet of the Center, administrates and manages its property assets, decides on issues of expenses and procurements, accepts or rejects inheritances, bequests or donations and any kind of subsidies. e) Forms the committee for the selection of special movers according to par. 4 of article 10. f) Defines the type of qualifications provided by the Organization according to par. 3 of article 11. g) Decides upon applications for the reexamination of decisions made by Departments. h) Has any other duty that has not been explicitly assigned to another administration body of the Center. The Plenary Session also drafts an annual report in which it presents and evaluates the Center''s work. The report is submitted every March to the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs and to the Parliament''s Permanent Educational Issues Committee.
2. Every BoD Department has the following duties: a) The 1st Department decides on the equivalence of universities and the 2nd Department decides on the equivalence of higher education technological institutes. To this end, each Department maintains list of universities and of higher education technological institutes respectively, which are deemed as equivalent. This list is constantly updated. b) Defines the Executive Committees according to par. 5 of article 6. c) Decides on issues referred to it by the Executive Committees. d) Defines, following a proposal by the competent Executive Committee, the subjects that must be examined for the acquisition of "equivalence and correspondence" of the title, according to par. 3 of article 4. e) Exempts graduates of article 12 from the stipulated recognition procedure therein, for "equivalence and correspondence" of their degrees and subjects them to the rule of par. 3 in article 4. f) Forms the special review committees according to the provision of article 13. g) Provides to all interested parties information on the higher education system in Greece and abro ad, the qualifications issued by these institutions and on issues of recognition abroad for qualifications issued by Greek institutions. h) Decides upon applications for review following a proposal by the Special Review Committee. i) Proposes to the BoD Plenary Session the issues of general interest it refers, concerning the higher education sector, of university or technological course, it represents. j) Proposes to the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, Economy and Finance, Interior Public Administration and Decentralization the Center''s Regulation of operation, according to article 15 par. 1. 1.
3. During the exercise of their duties, the BoD Departments can cooperate and request information from competent Greek authorities and similar centers and services abroad.
Duties of Executive Committee
The E.C. has the following duties: a) Decides on requests for the recognition of "equivalence" and "equivalence and correspondence" of foreign qualifications to domestic qualifications, according to article 4. b) Deals with issues referred by the respective Department and by the BoD President. c) Refers to the Department requests for the recognition of qualifications from educational institutes abroad, when the decisions of the E.C. have been made by a majority. d) Decides on the correspondence of the grading or evaluating scale of foreign qualifications that have been recognized as "equivalent" and "equivalent and corresponding" with the grading or evaluating scale of domestic qualifications and the manner in which this correspondence is calculated on the total subjects that have been examined during the studies. In case that there is no grading or evaluating characterization on the foreign qualifications, the E.C. makes a decision, taking into account all the other evidence or documents from the foreign educational institute and if that is not feasible, the relevant qualification is characterized as ungradable. e) Proposes to the Department , the subjects to be examined, according to article 4 par. 3. The proposal is made following the expert opinion of three academic consultants from the same or a similar field and of the competent special mover. f) Annually drafts lists with the members of the Teaching and Scientific Personnel (DEP) and Educational Personnel (EP) according to their scientific specialty or related scientific specialties according to par. 5 of article 10. The manner in which the E.C. makes decisions is defined by the Center''s Regulation of Operaion, stipulated in article 15 par.1.
Duties of the BoD President.
1. The President has the following duties: a) Convenes the meeting of the BoD Plenary Session, its Departments and the E.C., presides over them and drafts the agenda, signs the minutes and all the correspondence or documents and sees to the implementation of all decisions by these collective bodies, presides over all bodies and services of the Center, which he represents judicially as well as extrajudicially. b) Individually decides, following a proposal by the special mover, on the recognition of qualifications as "equivalent" or as "equivalent and corresponding", when identical qualifications from the same foreign higher education institutes have already been recognized by decisions of the Center''s bodies. The same also applies for the rejection of an application to recognize a qualification. If the President disagrees with the proposal of the special mover, he refers the case to the competent E.C. for a positive or a negative decision. c) Appoints among the employees of the Center, the President''s secretaries and the secretaries of the two Vice Presidents.
2. He can transfer the exercise of his duties to the 1st Vice President, on issues of university education and to the 2nd Vice President on issues of higher technological education. The President is replaced by the 1st Vice President and in case of absence or impediment the 1st Vice President is replaced by the 2nd Vice President.
Special Movers and Academic Consultants
1. The work of the BoD, the Departments and E.C. is supported by the special movers and the academic consultants.
2. The work of special movers mostly consists in: a) Processing the data in the candidate''s file on the recognition of the qualification''s "equivalence" and "equivalence and correspondence" and drafts the written proposal to the Center''s competent bodies, b) collaborating with the academic consultants, c) collecting information and examining general and special isuues regarding the Center''s duties.
3. The special movers participate, without vote, in the Center''s bodies everytime a topic for which they have drafted a proposal is under discussion. Their immediate supervisor is the President or, following a relevant authorization, a vice president.
4. Twenty one posts for special movers are created, with a private law contract of indefinite duration. Qualification for appointment are: a) degree or diploma from a Greek university or foreign equivalent, that covers the post''s subject or is relevant to it, b) scientific specialization in the respective post''s subject, proven by: i) a phd diploma of a Greek university or a foreign recognized one or ii) postgraduate qualification of a duration of at least one academic year, from a Greek university or a recognized foreign one and relevant experience of at least two ears after the acquisition of the postgraduate qualification or iii) relevant experience of at least four years after the acquisition of the principal qualification and at least one publication or scientific announcement on a topic related to the subject of the post, c) excellent or very good knowledge of the English language and of at least one more European language. Upon selection it is seen that as many as possible scientific fields are represented. For the filling of special movers posts there is a prior public announcement, which is published in at least two Athens newspapers of wide circulation. Upon announcement of the posts, the required qualifications, principal and postgraduate, are each time specified, and the second European language is defined, its level, the required experience, the knowledge in the use of a computer and for every post or some of them, only some selected qualifications mentioned in i, ii and iii under b'' may be required. The selection of special movers is executed according to the data in the candidate files, by a five-member committee composed by the Center''s President and four BoD members appointed by its Plenary Session.
5. The academic consultants are DEP and EP members and are appointed by the competent Vice President in each case, from respective lists that are annually drafted per scientific specialty or relevant scientific specialties by the E.C., according to the lists of teaching personnel from all departments of Greek universities and higher education technological institutes. The academic consultants are called upon to study and make proposals on issues of qualifications equivalence and correspondence of special interest.
6. By a joint decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs and the Minister of Economy and Finance, published in the Official Government Gazette, following an opinion by the Plenary Session of the Center''s BoD, the fees for academic consultants as well as special movers are defined.
Procedure for the recognition of qualifications.
1. The interested parties submit an application for the recognition of a qualification as "equivalent" or as "equivalent and corresponding" only. The aplication is submitted on a special document and is accompanied by the data specified by the Center. The application''s document, whose type is defined by the Center, constitutes a solemn statement on the accuracy of the real events mentioned in it. The Center''s competent bodies may request additional in formation and call the interested party for additional clarifications.
2. a) The President assigns the interested party''s file to a special mover, who after the collection of all the necessary data, drafts a proposal. Then, provided there is a prior case of recognition or not of identical qualifications, the file is forwarded to the President who is competent to issue a relevant decision. If the President disagrees with the proposal by the special mover, the issue is forwarded to the competent E.C. When there is no prior recognition or not of equivalence for identical qualifications, the competent body to decide positively or negatively is the E.C. If the E.C. cannot make a unanimous decision, the issue is referred to the competent Department. b) When recognition of "equivalence and correspondence" is requested, and even if there is a a prior recognition of a simple equivalence of the specific qualification, the additional proposal by an academic consultant is needed, on the need to take an additional examination on specific subjects. "Equivalence and correspondence" may be recognized with or without additional subjects. c) The decisions on cases of identical qualifications issued by the E.C., the Departments or the President, are sent to the BoD for notification and the to be published, only in what concerns the section referring to the conditions of "equivalence" and "equivalence and correspondence" of the specific studies programmes.
3. The type of issued certificates is defined by the BoD. The recognition certificate clearly states in a visible spot the characterization of the qualification as "equivalent" or "equivalent and corresponding", as well as the type of the qualification. Furthermore, it may include information on the content, the duration of the studies and other elements of the qualification. The Center maintains a register of all issued certificates of recognition and the relevant overruling decisions.
4. The decisions and the respective certificates must be issued wit hin sixty days for the cases of "equivalence" recognition and within ninety days for the cases of "equivalence and correspondence" recognition, from the collection of the necessary information. In any case of deviation from the aforementioned deadlines due to the lack of information, a justified decision is issued by the Center.
5. Upon submission of the application a payment voucher is deposited to the Center, as specified in article 18.
Recognition of Medicine, Dentistry and other sciences degrees outside the European Union member-states.
1. The recognition of "equivalence and correspondence" for degrees of Medicine and Dentistry issued by equivalent universities abroad, outside the countries of the European Union, is executed after exams in the subjects stipulated under paragraphs 1 and 2 of article 5 in L. 3027/2002. Exceptions from this procedure and subjection to the rule of par. 3 in article 4, can be mede with specially justified decisions from the competent department of the BoD, provided they refer to graduates from higher education institutes of international fame on the basis of academic criteria. The relevant decisions of the Department are published.
2. The examinations are executed according to a system that fully ensures transparency in the procedure. The exams may be executed by multiple choice questions and the grading of candidates'' essays may be executed electronically.
By a decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, and following a proposal by the Center''s BoD, the system, the procedure and any other special issue concerning these examinations is defined, according to article 15 par. 2 and article 4 par. 5. The aforementioned decision, may limit in number the subjects to be examined. By a similar decision, the examination system of the above paragraph may be extended to other Schools and Departments and the details for its adjustment to the particularities of the specific School or Depar tment may be defined.
Review of applications for recognition
1. The interested party, whose application for the recognition of a qualification is rejected, has the right to submit to the competent BoD Department, within one year from the notification of rejection concerning his request, an application for thr review of the issue, stating the reasons for the review and submitting new information. If the President or the E.C. that had originally examined the issue continue to be negative, the request is referred to a Special Review Committee, which is formed by the competent department and composed by the BoD member that belongs in the respective or similar field to the one of the qualification under examination, an academic consultant of the exact specialty or a similar one in relation to the issue and a special mover. The Special Committee reviews the issue and makes a proposal to the Department. The special review committees do not include persons that had originally examined the specific issue. The competent Department decides upon the issue as soon as possible and relevantly informs the interested party. The BoD Plenary Session is competent to undertake and decide upon the review applications as soon as possible against decisions of its Departments.
2. Upon submission of every review application a payment voucher is deposited to the Center, as specified in article 18.
Provision of information and procedure
1. The Center is the competent state authority for the provision of information on issues of organization and operation of higher education in Greece. It informs interested parties and educational institutions.
2. The Center also provides information to the public concerning the institutions and studies programmes of higher education abroad, as well as on provisions and procedures for the recognition of qualifications. Its goal is the valid and timely notificatio n of interested parties who plan on or are already studying in foreign educational institutions, concerning all the conditions for the recognition and the level of the qualification they will receive.
3. The notification of the public is executed after the interested parties have submitted an application and with any suitable means of communication, printed or electronic. The Center is under the obligation to answer in full, following a written proposal by the competent mover, to the written applications for information.
4. The decisions of article 4 par. 2 on the intensive three-year studies programmes of article 11 par. 2, case c'' on the recognition or not of identical qualifications of article 12 par. 1 referring to universities of international fame and the list of equivalent universities and technological institutes of higher education of article 7 par. 2, are published by any suitable means.
1. By presidential decree, issued following a proposal by the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, Economy and Finance and Interior, Public Administration and Decentralization, after a proposal by the BoD, the Center''s Regulation of operation is defined, which regulates special issues referring to its organization and operation.
2. By decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, following a proposal by the BoD, the method of examination and grading is defined, as well as the details on the system and procedure of exams executed by the Center itself according to articles 4 and 12, and every detail in terms of the subject-matter examined and the correction of papers and grading of candidates.
3. By joint decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs and of Economy and Finance, the amount of monthly fees for the President and the two Vice Presidents are defined, as well as the fees per meeting for the remaining members of the BoD. If the President, the Vice Presidents and the BoD members are from universities seated outside Attiki, they are also paid expenses of transportation according to the provisions in force.
4. By joint decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs and of Economy and Finance, the posts of special movers of par. 4 in article 10 can be increased, depending on the Center''s needs.
5. The Center''s work is evaluated every three years by a five-member Committee of Independent Specialists, who are selected from a list of DEP and EP members of Universities and TEI proposed by the institutions, and it is formed each time by a joint decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs and of Economy and Finance. The aforementioned decision also regulates all other details concerning the formation and operation of this Committee, as well as the fees of its members.
Structure of Administrative Services - Annexes - Legal Office
1. The Center will have three Divisions and two independent Offices as follows: a) Division for the recognition of academic qualifications b) Information Division and c) Division of administrative and financial services d) Independent Office for secretarial support to the President e) Independent Office for secretarial support to the Vice Presidents.
2. The Division for the recognition of academic qualifications includes nine Departments, specifically: the five responsible for the recognition of academic qualifications: a) humanities and arts, b) exact sciences, c) Health and Gymanstics sciences, d) legal, economic and social sciences and e) geotechnical sciences and engineering sciences, as well as the four departments responsible for the recognition of qualifications from higher education technological institutes: a) technological engineering sciences, b) technological geotechnical sciences and foods, c) technological professions in health and care and d) technological science s of administration and finance. The Information Division includes two Departments: a) information on foreign institutions, studies programmes and qualifications and b) information on domestic institutions, studies programmes and qualifications. The Division of administrative and financial services includes two Departments: a) Personnel department and b) Finance department.
3. In order to manage all submitted applications for recognition and to notify the public, an annex of the Center is founded in Thessaloniki. By presidential decree, issued by a decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, following a proposal by the BoD, the founding an operation of Center Annexes in other large cities of the country is possible. The special duties and organization of Annexes are defined by the Regulation of operation of article 15 par.1.
4. The Center will have an independent Judicial Office of the Legal Council of State, the organic posts of its associate judges increased by two. The Center''s Judicial Office has duties and operates according to what is stipulated for the Center by the Legal Council of State (L. 3086/2002 FEK 324 A). The attorneys that up until the publication of the present provided services to the Inter-University Foreign Degree Recognition Center (DIKATSA) and the Institute of Technological Education (ITE) will continue to be employed by the Center in the same relationship, from now on subject to the supervision of the Judicial Office of the Legal Council of State.
Personnel - Posts - Qualifications
1. By presidential decree, issued following a proposal by the Minister of Interior, Public Administration and Decentralization, the Minister of Economy and Finance and National Education and Religious Affairs, after an opinion provided by the Center''s BoD, the categories of posts, the fields and any additional or special appointment qualifications are defined, per field or post, for the Center''s permanent personnel , the organic posts of which cannot exceed thirty.
2. The Official Board of the Central Service of the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs is also the official board of Center employees.
3. Up to twenty five employees from the Public Administration, local authorities and other legal persons of public law, can be transferred to posts of the Center''s administrative personnel. The transfer is executed by a joint decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, and the competent Minister on a case-by-case basis, following the consenting opinion of the Center''s BoD.
The Center''s resources are: a) Inheritances, bequests, donations in life and due to death, as well as any kind of provisions from natural or legal persons domestically and abroad. b) Revenues from the management of its property assets. c) Income from the payment voucher, the amount of which is defined by a joint decision of the Minister of Economy and Finance and the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs. The payment voucher is deposited by every interested party for the recognition of "equivalence" and "equivalence and correspondence" of a qualification or for participation in the Center''s exams, to the Secretariat, along with his supporting documents. The income from the aforementioned sources are deposited in a special account and can be used, by a decision of the BoD, for the operational and housing needs of the Center. Until the issuance of the aforementioned joint decision, the payment voucher remains at the amount that was paid until this day for the recognition of qualifications by DIKATSA.
Abolition of DIKATSA and ITE. Transitional provisions
1. The legal person of public law under the name DIKATSA is abolished (L. 741/1977) as well as the public service under the name ITE (L. 1404/1983), and their duties are transferred to the Organization.
2. Article 5 par. 3 of L. 3027/2002, which provided for equal duties between the competent Departments of Greek universities for the recognition of "equivalence and correspondence" of Arts and Music qualifications, is abolished and the relevant duty is transfered to the Center and is governed by that law. Especially for a period of six months from the start of validity of this law, the Special Interdepartmental Committee of music studies university Departments, founded by ministerial decision F6/267/48/B3/2003, will function in deviation of the provisions stipulated in the said law, as moving committee for the competent Department of the new Center''s BoD, for the recognition of degrees in its rage of duties.
3. The Center ipso jure replaces DIKATSA, ITE, as well as the universities, in what regards the recognition of qualifications. The tangible assets and the files of DIKATSA and ITE are transfered to the ownership of the Center.
4. Pending cases and trials of DIKATSA and ITE are continued by the Center without any interruption of the trial.
5. The BoD posts where TEI Professors are appointed, according to article 6, are occupied ipso jure for the first three-year period of the law''s implementation from ITE''s serving Consultants.
6. Until the twenty one posts for special Movers of article 19 par. 4 are filled, duties of a special mover can be temporarily assigned through transfer to Public Administration and higher education institutes employees with similar qualifications, to DEP members along with the exercise of their main duties, to already serving ITE Movers and to parties that had already been proposed as special Movers of the abolished DIKATSA for the year 2004.
7. The permanent employees, who upon beginning of the present are serving in DIKATSA, are temporarily incorporated, by decision of the Minister of National Education and Religious Affairs, in the Central Service of the Ministry. The, within one year, by a decision of the same Mini ster, following an opinion of the Official Board of the Ministry''s Central Service, they are either permanently incorporated in respective posts of the Ministry''s Central Service, or are transfered to respective open posts in the Ministry''s regional services or in services of Legal Persons of Public Law, or organizations under the supervision of the Ministry. Relevant applications by interested parties are evaluated by the Official Board, which above all takes into account the needs in services. If there are no open posts, the posts occupied in DIKATSA are transferred ans are added as personal posts in the services they are incorporated. The parties serving in DIKATSA and ITE, upon publication of the present, in posts with a private contract of an indefinite duration, are transfered to the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs, under the same employment relationship and in personal posts that are established by the transfer decision. The aforementioned transfer is executed according to a joint decision by the Minister of Interior, Public Administration and Decentralization, the Minister of Economy and Finance, and of National Education and Religious Affairs, published in the Official Government Gazette. The project or employment contracts of a definite duration remain valid until the lapse of the contracted time and the services of employees are provided to the Organization. The posts that had been established in the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs for ITE (sec. III par. 1, article 23 of L. 1404/1983) and remain void, are abolished.
Provisions to distinguished athletes
At the end of par. 10 of article 34 in L. 2725/1999 the following is added: "Exempted are athletes that have conquered at least a 1st victory in summer or winter Olympic Games, for which there is an age frame from seventeen to thirty five (17-35) years old."
Secondary education issues
1. The enforecement of any form of bodily punishment to students of secondary education that deviate from the suitable behaviour is prohibited.
2. a) Teaching professionals appointed to inaccessible schools stipulated in L. 1143/1981, serve in these schools for at least two consecutive years, absolutely excluding and for any reason their transfer, secondment or reenstatement from these schools for the duration of two years. b) Teaching professionals appointed to inaccessible schools and complete on 31.8.2005 two (2) consecutive years of stay in those schools, have the right to be transfered and seconded for the school year 2005-2006 and beyond.
3. Teaching professionals of the field PE 09 - Economists and PE 10 - Sociologists that have been appointed by the num. a) 75694/D2/22.11.2001 (FEK 291/issue C''/23.11.2001) b) 87099/D2/29.8.2002 (FEK 194/issue C''/29.8.2002) c)87098/D2/29.8.2002 (FEK 193/issue C''/29.8.2002) d) 92246/D2/10.9.2002 (FEK 212/issue C''/ 16.9.2002) e) 4376/D2/17.1.2003 (FEK 25/issue C''/7.2.2003) ministerial decisions whose appointment acts have been annulled, are considered to have occupied organic posts of the aforementioned fields since they were appointed.
School books and collections
It is allowed, without the permission of the creator and without fee, to reproduce into educational books that are used as teaching books for the primary and secondary education, approved by the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs or by another competent Ministry according to the official detailed programme, literary works of one or more writers legally published, that constitute a small part of each writer''s creation, as well as abstracts of works of plastic arts or other, any kind of visual or photographic material, provided it is necessarily related to the content of the teaching book. The provisions of this paragraph are also implemented on any kind of educational material, such as internet applications, educational software, film movies, CD -ROM, DVD and any other means of electronic, digital or other recording used as a teaching tool approved by the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs and freely distributed in the framework of the detailed programme. Furthermore, in what concerns these means, the reproduction of musical abstracts and film or sound or audiovisual material of a limited duration is permitted, under the aforementioned conditions, with an additional mention, besides what is stipulated under paragraph 3, of the producer''s name.
The validity of this law begins upon its publication in the Official Government Gazette. We request the publication of the present in the Official Government Gazette and its implementation as a Law of the State.